Home The Book Features Blog / Podcast Contact Us

About Me

Name: Craig
About Me:
See my complete profile

Podcasts

  • Podcast #8 - Nilsa Mariano reads "Hunger"
  • Podcast #7 - Monica Garcia Saenz reads "A Hero's Story"
  • Podcast #6 - Marie Delgado Travis reads "Me and Don Paco"
  • Podcast #5 - Kathy Cano Murillo reads "Dad, The Rock Star of Tamale Makers"
  • Podcast #4 - Norma Oquendo reads "I'll Always Remember You"
  • Podcast #3 - Anjela Villarreal Ratliff reads "In My Classroom"
  • Podcast #2 - Marie Delgado Travis reads "Abolengo"
  • Podcast #1 - Introduction, reading of poem "University Avenue" by Pat Mora

Links

Archives

September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006

Friday, October 21, 2005

Podcast #4--"I'll Always Remember You"--Norma Oquendo

Podcast #4 features Latino Soul author Norma Oquendo, who introduces and reads her story "I'll Always Remember You." Norma's story is a heartwrenching tribute to her mother, Josefina, a loving, courageous and gentle soul who at the end of her life suffered from Alzheimer's disease. Listen to Norma's beautiful reading of the story, where she recaptures her love and devotion to her mother in the midst of a moment of shock and heartbreak. Click here to read my interview with Norma in the Featured Author column, where she talks about her inspiration for writing, and her ideas about the importance of loving and respecting our elders. At the end of the interview, I offer some important information on Latinos and Alzheimer's.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Norma's story in the book,
and loved hearing her read it.
The interview with her is great too!!

Many of us baby boomers are
experiencing the role as caregivers
of our beloved elders, so I'm sure
there will be countless others who
can relate to Norma's story...



--AV

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the interview with Norma. It gave insight as to why she decided to write the story and although I have not had anyone in my family with Alzheimer's, I was sincerely heartwarmed by her experience.

Thank you for being able to offer such a great story Norma -

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read Norma's work since her first publication and enjoy it immensely. I have a personal interest in this story as my own father passed away from Alzeheimer's.

While I do believe Latinos are at greater risk because of personal family history with the disease, (we have reason to believe there is a genetic link because of the high incidence in our family) I doubt that research will prove that education has anything to do with stemming the disease because every one in my family who has succumbed has been college educated with the exception of one aunt.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, Norma,

Another great job on the latest podcast. I appreciate the tie-in on your verbal and written comments for further information on Alzheimers disease. When my mother died recently, the first experience for my family dealing with her absence during the coming holidays will be especially difficult.

One of the symptoms she suffered the last year or so was Alzheimers. Sort of amusing at first, as all of us were guilty of making light of it, then the stark reality and fear that she was indeed leaving, was devastating. You don't realize how great a feeling it was to have her recognize me on one of my last visits (a good day). It was like a thick veil had lifted, and her eyes were gloriously opened. "Eres tu Charlie Boy?" Just hearing her say that was both joyful and heartbreaking. I put my head on her lap and cried like a baby. "Yes Mama, it's me."

When the time comes to drive that direction, that 150 miles down the 99, I might pull over, turn around, go back. "She's not there, why go home?" It will be too hard on my family though, not having her, then me. I couldn't do that. It's strange, but i've become some kind of familial light through all this. Brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, all emailing, all calling.

My mother was such a loving presence, and through me, my quiet little pages, she comes home.

 
Blogger Mr. H. said...

Bravo! Thank you for a great story... too close to home. May God bless you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Home | The Book | Features | Podcast/Blog | Community | Contact Us
  Copyright 2005 Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement   This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?